Sunday, June 17, 2007

We're here and Col number 1

Travelling from the US went very smoothly with no problems on the flight or with the luggage. Our bikes made it unscathed and Jonathan and Dad got them together and working fairly quickly. We picked up our rental van in Lyon and drove to Annecy where we are currently. The hotel is right on the lake and we have beautiful views.

We took our first bike ride around lake and to the Col de la Forclaz at 1157 meters. The cat 1 climb was 8.2 km at an average of 8.5% gradient. It wasn't so bad. Jonathan of course was waiting for Dad and I at the top where we were overlooking the lake and watching hang-gliders take off. We ended up riding the end of the course for today's stage of the Dauphine libere race where we are heading off to next.

Tomorrow we leave for Albertville and then we will ride 60 miles to Tignes which is part of stage 7 of this year's Tour de France.

Overall it is quite lovely here. We are enjoying listening to children speak french. We'll post again hopefully soon.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hey, I think I saw you guys on VS! I need to see a picture of Cindy to make sure she's having a good time. Take a look at my profile picture to see what fun you missed at Mindy's birthday party. I'm the one hanging out of the upper right window.

deb said...

Glad you all arrived safely. I've been thinking about your trip ... particularly the part where no one speaks a whole lotta french. I suppose speaking the universal language of cycling, however, will be a benefit.

Although I've never seen them from the bike-riding position, from the slopes, walking and hiking, I know the alps are spectacular. Wish I were there.

Also, it must be fun to be in france when you can consume like a million calories due to your strenuous activity level. Lucky you. Can't wait to hear about other adventures. Has anyone gotten significantly lost yet?