Friday, June 22, 2007

Over the Col Agnel to Italy

After two climbs, we made it into Italy. Both climbs were quite difficult, but the views were amazing. We started off going from Briançon to the Col de l'Izoard which was very windy. We got off the top of that one very quickly because of how cold it was. After a quick lunch, we continued our descent until we started to ascend again to the Col Agnel which takes us into Italy. This climb was very long and the last 5 km were quite steep. I decided to become part of the support van while Dad and Jonathan continued to descend. We met up at the bottom and drove to our farmhouse near Sinio. The land changed dramatically in one hour from snow and switchbacks to flat and through vineyards. The farmhouse itself is lovely and the owners are very hospitable. We went out to dinner last night and the waitress just kept bringing us food. No menus were required. There were 6 antipastas served, then pasta, then the main course. We were so full we declined on dessert.
We're planning on relaxing here and doing a few rides and tasting the local wine. We'll post again when we arrive in Nice and include more pictures.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Journeymen!!! Would someone tell Jonathan he is makeing a lot of Amish jealous with that farmers tan that he is sporting. Also tell him that IRA says hi and wished that he and the purple sting ray could have made the trip. Maybe next year.
Signing off....Team Hnat

Anonymous said...

Kahler's...or should I say my European Crew!! You are quite the adventures and trend setters. Just as I took the mutual fund industry in a new direction some 30 odd years ago, I see great things for Americans traveling overseas because of your blogs. I just wish my heart was better and I would be over biking with you right now!! Remember, "even one person can make a difference". And to Jonathan, P-day resulted in a 13% increase to $91.95. See you back on this side of the Atlantic Pond soon. Your Friend and mentor, J. C. Bogle.

Chuck said...

Trisha arrived in Gulu. Don't ask about the Bats!

Rachel said...

Hey guys! I had a dinner just like you described on the first weekend I was here. I have never been so stuffed in my life!! It is quite the experience. And the farm look so beautiful!! That's the kind of place I'd want to be living in. The one we ate at was Titiniagna and it was in a hill town 2hrs from Rome. Enjoy your stay at that heavenly looking place and maybe I will get to talk to you while you are in Italy! love, Rachel

Amy said...

Wow, I just finished reading all your posts. (There were so many I had to take a break part way through to put my laundry in the dryer.) It sounds like your adventure has been amazing so far and I'm so glad to hear it! Nice pics, too. Camp was good, but, alas, no wine there. Eat some good cheese for me and I'll see you when I get home from the beach. ~Amy