Wednesday, June 20, 2007

No cause for concern here

I thoroughly enjoyed my climb of Alpe d' Huez. While it was quite steep and very hot, it was also overwhelming. I kept imagining throngs of people parting to allow me to climb up the mountain. The switchbacks were nice because they offered a brief reprieve from the 10% grade in most places. However, 10% seems much steeper when you're going down.
We had a lovely time at the top and had a nice podium shot taken for us. We headed out in an attempt to find an alternate route down the mountain. A few wrong turns later, carnivorous flies, and much miscommunication, Dad and I were still together and headed back the way we came sans Jonathan. I was assuming he found the correct way down and we would meet at the bottom (which we did--Yea!).
However, when we were still on top of the mountain and wondering where Jonathan was, I stopped to talk with someone in the tourism office. She provided me with a map and directions to where Jonathan may have ridden. I asked her if she had any suggestions as to who we could call if we couldn't find Jonathan. She shrugged and said she had no idea. Then she asked if I wanted a sticker. It was a pretty cool sticker.
We all got back together a short time later and all was good. One other highlight was on our ride back down the mountain, we did get a chance to see Mom doing a 3-point on Alpe d' Huez being directed by a woman speaking French. Quite comical. Another fine day in the Alps.
--Erin
Posted by Picasa

No comments: