Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Ta ta!" to Tata lane

This Kahler adventure has almost come to an end, and a fine adventure it has been. While most of you reading this have been suffering through a heat wave on the east coast, we've been experiencing some of the most pleasant weather ever--75 and sunny with no humidity everyday.

The past two days have been filled with some great hikes and relaxation. On Monday, we ventured out to the Emerald Bay trails. Dad, Jon, Jessica, Maeve, and I took the trail up towards Eagle Lake--Dad got to have Maeve on his back on the way there. There were great views of Emerald Bay on the way up and Eagle Lake was delightful. I tried to teach Maeve how to boulder but she was having none of it. Jon had Maeve on his back on the way down and we headed back home for lunch. Dad and I did one final ride--just a short one up South Upper Truckee Road--it was steep and scenic.

Today was clouded with knowing that we had to pack things and get ready to leave. I took a run on some trails to see if I could find Fallen Leaf Lake (no worries--I was successful). Jon, Jessica, and Maeve spent a lovely morning on the beach. Mom and Dad went into town to visit the art gallery owned by the couple that owns the house we're staying in. In the afternoon, I convinced Mom and Dad to join me on the Mt. Tallac trail (If one takes it the whole way, you end up on the summit of Mt. Tallac) and we hiked about 2.3 miles in to Cathedral Lake. Mom thought the trail was strenuous (and it technically was) but kept up just fine. We saw more views of both Fallen Leaf Lake and Lake Tahoe--I'm sure the view from the summit is stunning. I guess I'll have to save that one for next time.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: