Thursday, July 1, 2010

Big trees...check!





The Kahlers went on a driving adventure today. The original plan was to drive to Calaveras State Park, do a 5 mile hike, drive partway back in one car and ride up Ebbetts Pass, and then drive home. The drive to the park took slightly longer than expected and we didn't get there until almost 1pm. After eating some lunch, we sought out the South Grove Trail to see the largest tree in the park--Agassiz Tree. It turns out hiking with a 2 year old is slightly more challenging than just hiking with other adults. Nonetheless, everyone got to where they needed to be. As one who had never seen such large trees, I was in awe of their hugeness. We saw the "Discovery Tree" which was the first large tree to be cut down when discovered by Augustus Dowd in 1852--the stump is there--it took 5 men 22 days to cut it down. All the large trees seemed to have burned out sections but were still alive and thriving. I thoroughly enjoyed climbing through and into the trees. Only once did a bird fly out of one large hole, scaring Jonathan and Maeve. As we walked up to the Agassiz tree, a huge dead branch crashed down to the ground. Dad said, "60 years old and one day--murder attempt by largest tree failed." I had the privilege of carrying Maeve back to the car in the kid-carrying backpacking pack thing. She's much lighter than my normal backpack and much more entertaining.

Because of time, we decided to save the riding for tomorrow. However, because our drive took the same route as the bike ride, we got to preview what we were going to do. I am very much against previewing our rides--I don't like knowing what I'm getting myself into. In this case, I don't like what I see. The climb looks steep, long, and difficult. We're all looking forward to it of course.

2 comments:

deb said...

Great blog, great photos, great storytelling ...

I'm totally exhausted just reading about the biking. It sounds really healthy. The photos are awesome.

Just started my new job ... so I'm reading from my new office in DC.

Keep posting ... enjoying your trip vicariously.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday and one day Tom. Glad you are having an awesome trip. What a great way to spend your "big" birthday. I am enjoying all the posts and pictures. Thanks for sharing.