Saturday, June 26, 2010

A new Kahler Adventure

We're no longer taking on the Alps and there are now 6 of us instead of 5 but I'm sure there will be plenty of new biking/hiking/lack of communication stories to share over the next 2 weeks or so.

Our travel day went like "clockwork" yesterday or as close to clockwork as the travel plans could have gone. Jonathan, Dad, and I arrived in Reno in the early afternoon and laughed at the poor schmucks who drove away from the airport in their rental cars as we trekked over the median and across the highway with all of our luggage to our less expensive car rental place a mile down the road. Since Dad didn't have a form of communication, we sent him in a car by himself while Jonathan and I took both of our phones in the other car. Almost immediately Dad took one exit and we took another but eventually found each other again closer to Lake Tahoe. Jonathan and I spent most of the drive trying to figure out, "If I were Dad, what would I do?"

Later in the evening, we picked up the other half of our party at the Sacramento airport where we learned that Maeve thoroughly enjoyed her first flight. She enjoyed it so much she didn't sleep at all and was wide awake as we left the airport even though it was midnight eastern standard time. We all finally made it back to the house around midnight local time and our extremely long day of travel was over.

Currently Jon is working on assembling bikes and planning some rides. The weather is beautiful and it looks to be a great time here. We'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you have all arrived safely and eventually together. Have a great time and don't be to hard on the old man. :)

Kim said...

Glad to hear you all found each other in CA. I have to say, I much prefer driving to the airport at 4:30am than at 4:30pm on a Friday. Erin, are you typing this with an iPad? I assume you know how to spell your last name. Have a great trip!

Kim said...

Glad to hear you all found each other. I have to say, I much prefer driving to the airport at 4:30am than 4:30pm on a Friday. Hope you have a great trip!